Thursday, July 15, 2010

Your Questions Answered #1

I'd like to share a twitter conversation I had this evening with a curious member of the twittersphere. I'm sure the questions asked may be of interest to others. I've removed the name because it seemed like the polite thing to do :)
  1. @personontwitter Pt1- Need to implement registration system for tracking drugs given to horses = $$ blocked by industry every time it's brought up
    @personontwitter Pt2 - USA has recently banned slaughter for human consumption because no suitably humane slaughter technique could be found

Further details

- A registration system has been put forward recently by Charlie's Angels Horse Rescue. See link here for more information. I hope it is seriously considered, because it would also be hugely beneficial for reasons other than those relating to the consumption of horse meat, but I am not holding my breath that it will be taken up. Various industry groups block it every time, which is incredibly frustrating.

- Horse slaughter for human consumption was banned in the USA in 2006 because they could not find a slaughter method that did not contravene their Humane Slaughter Act. The unpleasant details are here if you feel like you can handle them. The problem involves the necessity for blood to be drained from the animal so that the meat will be fit for human consumption. There is no suitable method of stunning a horse so that the blood can be drained, due to the shape of their skull and the naturally flighty natures of horses. A horse in a stressful situation, such as being in the kill box at an abattoir, is very difficult to keep still so the slaughter-person can get a clean shot.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask! I promise I am rational and friendly. Just trying to share information that I feel is pretty important. Send me a tweet @DontEatAusHorse or comment on any post if you'd like to join the discussion :)

No comments:

Post a Comment